Fancy House Road » Welcome to my life as a mother of 2 on Fancy House Road

Masthead header

Staying True To Your Design Esthetic

During my first couple weeks on Pinterest I was perplexed that the same images kept appearing on my feed–there was absolutely no variety. It seemed as though everyone I followed was in a pinning loop, pinning the same images over, and over, and over. Concluding that I just wasn’t following enough people I started following more pinners: friends of friends, other bloggers and even complete strangers. I was sure that eventually my feed would be filled with a variety of inspirations. After a couple weeks of waiting, I was discouraged to see that the pinning loop continued… The same images were haunting my feed.

Finally, I did what any good pinner has to do, I stopped following people. Yes, I felt guilty. Yes, it was rude. However, I decided it was my pinterest account and I wanted to be inspired by what I saw, not bored-to-tears.  After cleaning up the boards I followed, I was ecstatic to discover that I now had a beautiful, interesting, and inspiring feed.

My own pinterest evolution made me realize something — people are easily persuaded to stray from their design esthetic. Instead of seeing a concept and recognizing that although the design  is beautiful it’s not THEIR design style, they copy it. They jump on the design bandwagon. I don’t think people understand they can appreciate a trend without throwing the idea on every wall, fabric, or art print in their home.

Here are a few trends I saw pinned so much on pinterest I couldn’t help but wonder, ‘Did I miss something?’

The Chevron Stripe- Simple with a flare of fun. I appreciate the modern yet traditional design of this stripe. I’ve seen enough pictures on pinterest to know it translates well onto practically anything decor related (including walls, rugs, art, lamps, chairs, pillows, curtains etc).  This does not mean I will put this in my house. It is not my design esthetic.

So next time you go to pin something with a Chevron strip, ask yourself, ‘Would I love this concept 20 years from now even if it’s outdated? Does this really make my heart sing, or is it just an easy DIY project that everyone is pinning?’

White Ceramic Animals- Unless you are an avid hunter, animal lover, or have a thing for horns, why would you want a white ceramic animal head on any of your walls? Again, I can appreciate the artistic element; however, I will not be mounting one of these over my bed. Let-alone pinning a picture with the caption, “LOVE THIS” on my pinterest account.

Before pinning ceramic animals ask yourself this, “Do I really want it to look like a horse just rammed its head through my wall?” and “Would I feel 100% comfortable walking around naked with a Ram looking at me with his beady ceramic eyes?””

Rosette Pillows- Instead of making or buying pillows with flowers pasted on the front, why don’t we try integrating floral elements into our home with… real flowers. A vase of fresh flowers will do more for your home than 20 rosette pillows. Promise.

Do you really love the felt/rosette flower trend? Is it your design esthetic?

Chalkboard Walls (Or Boards)- The minute I see a room with a chalkboard wall I want to pin it. I start dreaming about drawing beautiful images wherever I desire… It seems so artistic, raw, creative. Then I have to reel it in and ask myself, “Keighley, is this really your design esthetic?” I quickly remember that I do not want to see a recipe written on my kitchen wall. I do not want to have chalky erase marks that still show remnants of doodles. And I especially do not want my {future} baby breathing in chalk dust.

If you love any of those things, then I happily encourage you to pin chalkboard ideas all day long.

In a not so brief post, I just hope people find a design style that makes their house perfect for them. Appreciate trends, but only integrate the ones that really touch your heart. You may end up with the weirdest decor on the block, but it will be you. It will never be out of style, and it won’t require you to accomplish 100 DIY projects.

• November 11, 2011 - 2:33 pm

Kayla - I LOVE design blogs but there is rarely anything that I would actually put in my house. For me it’s almost more about just looking at all the pretty pictures than finding any real inspiration for a project I’m actually planning on doing. I’m not real sure what my design aesthetic is but I’ve got a lot of ideas about what it is not (with you on the ceramic heads. They feel creepy to me…)

• November 11, 2011 - 4:34 pm

kiersten - I literally want to puke up my guts when I see anything rosette…

GREAT post! Since I am still in an apartment, and not looking to “lock down” any permanent design stuff as of yet, I don’t really know what my design style is. I need to take a design style quiz because I’m slowly falling into the ‘I like everything’ category. That does not include rosettes, however.

One thing I do know– I am learning that I love simplicity and things that are unique, timeless, and raw.

• November 11, 2011 - 4:35 pm

kiersten - BTW I think I stopped pinning after a week bc I kept seeing the saaaame crap everywhere… I eventually asked myself, what’s the point? And I haven’t been back. OOOOOPS.

• November 11, 2011 - 4:58 pm

Christina - I really appreciated this post. You brought up some very legitimate points..I’m going to leave it at that.

• November 12, 2011 - 5:24 am

Kate - Great post! It’s exactly how I feel about the trends. Although I’ve pinned the occasional chevron image, I know it’s not my style, but it’s still slightly fascinating.

• November 12, 2011 - 10:43 am

Elizabeth - Can I just say thank you for this wonderful post! I have done the same thing with my pinterest account! I’m tired of seeing the same things all the time, and every time I invite someone to pinterest I give them my speech about re-pinning the same pins. THANK YOU!

• November 12, 2011 - 12:16 pm

BeccaMarie - Thanks for taking the time to write that out, it’s good to hear. For quite a while I thought my apartment wasn’t going to look official unless it had walls painted with the latest color and sweet subway art framed on the shelves. I don’t live in a place I can really hunker down and decorate yet. But when I do I’m slowly realizing it might house rooster painted plates, chicken and basket-of-eggs salt shakers, and flowery curtains. Not hip, no, but I see myself feeling comfortable with it that way for years to come.

• November 12, 2011 - 10:37 pm

Natalie Hall - Right on babe!! What an awesome post. You couldn’t of been more on, so well written.

• November 15, 2011 - 9:39 am

keighley - Thanks so much for the comment Christina! It made my day. You are the epitome of style!

• November 15, 2011 - 9:41 am

keighley - We all pin things that fascinate us…as long as we don’t let trends derail us from our true style.

• November 15, 2011 - 9:43 am

keighley - Becca- I’m loving that you may just have a rooster-themed house! That’s exactly the message I was conveying! I’m not saying trends are necessarily bad, I just think people are swayed to thinking it’s their design style. If roosters make somebody feel happy and at home THEN THEY SHOULD HAVE ROOSTERS! xo

• November 15, 2011 - 10:32 am

Audrey Cooper - Disclaimer: I may offend someone and I’m sorry.

Can anyone tell me why women wear those dang rosettes on headbands? I mean c’mon, is everyone trying to dress like their 5 years old?

I admit it. I like the antler decor and I’m not a hunter. I think they are playful and childish and have been a fun addition to my guest room.

Chevron stripes are so over done. There will be a day when people will say “OMG, remember that chevron rug Mom had in the kitchen, puke”.

• November 15, 2011 - 2:09 pm

Jessica - Haha! I am pretty sure I pinned that very picture with the rosette pillows, but in my defense, I really like rosettes!

• November 21, 2011 - 12:09 pm

keighley - Audrey- Your Rosette headband comment made me laugh. So true.

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *